Michael qualified as a social worker in 2000. Prior to this he worked with the Armed Forces and travelled extensively, including living in other countries. These experiences extended his understanding and outlook on life and gave him insight into other cultures.
Michael lived in Germany for over 9 years and was living in Berlin for the period of the downfall of the Berlin wall. He also lived in the Falkland Island at the time of the conflict with Argentina. Later he worked in Bosnia with the British Armed Forces. Michael considers that his travel and living within other countries and cultures helped prepare him for his training and practice as a social worker.
Since qualifying Michael has gained extensive experience of working with people with mental health difficulties and dementia, adults with learning difficulties and clients who are in a hospital and community setting. (His first social work training placement was within a community mental health team in Adelaide, South Australia)
Michael now works as a Best Interest Assesssor and as a social worker part time. He operates his own business providing housing and support to adults who have a learning difficulty. He owns houses based in the Kingswood areas of Bristol.
Michael has management experience both within local authority settings and operating his own supported living homes.
Special Skills and Interests
- Social Work and Care Management (assessment, care planning, reviews, support plans, risk assessments, safeguarding)
- Social circumstances report writing
- Working knowledge of both the Mental Health Act and the Mental Capacity Act
- Accessing funding (including Personal Budgets, Direct Payments and ILF)
- Setting up new services including supported living and community support for individual packages.
- Completing detailed reports, project work.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Staff supervision and management.
- Working with older people, people with a learning difficulty, complex needs
- Direct work with service users, those with complex needs and dual diagnosis
- Supported Living Advisor
Michael is committed to working within the social model of disability. He uses a person centered and anti–discriminatory practice. He has very good interpersonal skills and is an excellent communicator, and is respectful of people’s needs.
Main Qualifications: Best Interest Assessor – University of Newcastle 2016 and annual update training. Registered Social Worker, DipSW, 2000; Post Qualifying Award 2002, Certificate in Counselling 2004 Supported Living Provider
Registration: Health and Care Professions Council. Number SW32061
Professional Membership: B.A.S.W.
Insurance: Professional Indemnity and Public/Employers Liability Insurance
Enhanced CRB: July 2017