Helen has enjoyed working as an independent consultant for several years, joining IPE Associates in 2007. She has extensive experience as a social worker and care manager working with a range of customers living in community, supported living, care home and hospital settings. With a background in psychology and excellent interpersonal skills Helen has been an effective manager and supervisor in senior social work positions. Helen has developed a sound knowledge of working practice within local authority and health services as well as the voluntary and independent sector through her practice in these areas. Embracing change, Helen has been involved in both the restructuring of organisations including the integration of health and social services teams and the reorganisation of services for example the introduction of personal budgets. During this time she has also developed her role as an independent support broker to people using personal budgets.
Special Skills and Interests
- Social Work and Care Management (assessment, self-assessment, care planning, reviews, support plans, risk assessments, safeguarding).
- Support Brokerage (for people with personal budgets).
- Accessing funding (including Personal Budgets, Direct Payments and ILF) and setting up new services including supported living and community support for individual packages.
- Completing detailed reports, investigating complaints, project work.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Evidence Based Practice/ involvement in research.
- Staff supervision and management.
- Working with older people, people with a learning difficulty, complex needs and young people in transition.
Helen works within the social model of disability and uses a person-centred approach. She is committed to anti-discriminatory practice and is respectful of people’s individual needs and their right to exercise choice and control. She is able to use plain language in reports where appropriate to ensure accessibility to the reader.
Main Qualifications: M.A./Diploma in Social Work (Dip SW) 1995 P.Q.S.W (Adult Care) 2003 B.A. (Honours) Psychology 1990
Registration: Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) SW75432
Professional Membership: B.A.S.W.
Insurance: Full Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance
Enhanced DBS/CRB: Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check – September 2013