Tim qualified as a social worker in 1998, initially spending two and a half years working with adults with learning difficulties. In 2000 he began working with adults with mental health difficulties, qualifying as an Approved Social Worker (ASW) in 2002. He has remained in the field of mental health ever since, including spending 12 months as a senior practitioner in a community mental health team for older adults.
In 2008, Tim successfully made the transition from Approved Social Worker to Approved Mental Health Professional under the new revised Mental Health Act. The following year he qualified as a Best Interest Assessor (BIA) under the new Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards. Consequently Tim has an extensive working knowledge of both the Mental Health Act and the Mental Capacity Act as well as other related legislation and recent case law.
Tim’s career has also seen him work with people involved in the criminal justice system, including social supervision of clients in the community, reporting directly to the Ministry of Justice.
Special Skills and Interests
- Approved Mental Health Professional work and assessments. This includes compiling reports for Mental Health Review Tribunals and all type of assessments under the Mental Health Act.
- Best Interest Assessor (BIA) under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
- Social Supervision of service users subject to sections of the Mental Health Act which require direct liaison with, and reporting to, the Ministry of Justice.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Excellent assessment and risk management skills.
- Direct work with service users, particularly those with complex needs and those with a history of resistance to engaging with services.
Tim is committed to a person-centered approach and anti-discriminatory practice, particularly challenging the stigma and barriers that face those individuals with enduring mental health difficulties. He looks to ensure the greatest possible service user participation and choice in decisions that affect them, building upon effective working relationships of honesty and respect.
Main Qualifications: Diploma in Social Work (Dip SW) 1998, Advanced Diploma in Mental Health Social Work (Approved Social Worker Training) 2002, Best Interest Assessor (BIA) 2009.
Registration: GSCC Registration (first registered 2005)
Professional Membership: B.A.S.W
Insurance: Professional Indemnity and Public/Employers Liability Insurance (Both 5 million pounds).
CRB: June 2012